In July 2012, State Council’s several comments on promoting the development of civil aviation were issued to fortify Chinese aviation industry. As a response, Shandong Jiaotong University integrated available resources and founded School of Aeronautics in order to satisfy the social requirements for aeronautic elites. This school mainly focuses on application-oriented senior engineering and technical personnel who studies the maintenance of civil aircraft and engine, aeronautic equipment etc. In 2013, School of Aeronautics begun to enroll students respectively majoring in Aircraft Manufacture Engineering (maintenance of aircraft structure) and Electronic and Information Engineering (maintenance of avionics).
Our newly-built school brings new light on starting point of this area, with novel educational model and earnest expectation. With constant exploration and practice in educational reform, the school generally grapes educational notions of itself:
1) educate with five steps to stimulate students’ motivation;
2) modularise the education to correct students’ learning method;
3) equip students with excellent English language, rigorous work attitude, harmonious team spirit, solid professional foundation, and the adept operation skills to prevent development bottlenecks in their future careers;
4) assemble teachers as a team to enhance internal management;
5) follow five principles of “approachable, foundational, applicable, comprehensive, and flexible” to establish professional and rounded training system;
6) give full play to curricular and extra-curricular classes to fortify English language proficiency;
7) advance training mode with the times focusing on the design of Rotor Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) with the combination of Rotor UAV structural design, Remote Sensing (RS) controlling design and Aeronautical material design;
8) improve tutor institution to realise the win-win development and all-round interaction between tutors and students;
9) extend international exchanges and cooperations, aiming at their advanced educational philosophy.
All above are to plant seeds and cultivate students to be pillars of tremendous promise. School of Aeronautics means to achieve the following objectives:
1) help students prepare future career to be “thoughtfully planned with motivation and effective action”;
2) building “overpass” to equip students with initiatives;
3) implant “power source” into students’ career to enable their sustainable advancement.
These objectives will contribute to the ultimate aim of establishing School of Aeronautics to be the crucial base of general aviation for talents’ cultivation and retraining, and popularisation of aviation scientific knowledge.
At present, we have been in partnership with relevant domestic and foreign colleges and universities, training institutions, aviation companies, aircraft maintenance and manufacturing enterprises, which opens up a channel for the education and employment of graduates.